Face is that defined feature that makes you who you are. If defines the standard of beauty around the world, makes people have different opinions of another person due to this and people are more attracted to this very feature. But you have to face a lot of challenges when it comes to skin care. If you are not aware of the right skin type of your own face, then you cannot treat your face with right products suitable for your own skin type.
The skin types present in people throughout the world are:-
- Normal Skin– Normal skin people are blessed with this skin type as any kind of product is suitable for them and their skin remains normal in any weather condition.
- Dry Skin– When your skin lacks enough moisture and natural oils and appears flaky, this is regarded as dry skin. Dry skin people have to take extra care to keep their face hydrated.
- Oily Skin– When your skin produces extra oil glands and secrete oil through the pores then it can be considered as oily skin.
- Combination Skin– Combination skin people have both dry and oily parts of skin throughout their face. The forehead and nose area is especially oily.
- Sensitive Skin– People with skin have to do high maintenance for their face as no product is perfect suitable on their skin. Sensitive skin can cause lots of breakouts and acne if not taken proper care of.
This article is all about Dry skin and will give details on how to remove dry flaky skin and care for naturally dry skin in a proper manner.
Your skin produces oil called sebum which naturally hydrates the pores and skin layer and makes it normal. Dry skin people lack that oil secretion and lipid layers that help moisturize the skin and creates a protective shield of dead skin cells and hence the face appears flaky, bumpy and sometimes red.
Although having dry skin is a natural process and can be genetic but there are some other factors causing dry skin as well:-
- Weather Conditions– The weather can cause major changes in your skin. Low humidity can cause your face to become dry and you will feel your face dry out and itchy.
- Work Influenced– If you’re out and about due to work all the time, chances are you are not able to take care of your skin properly. Lack of hydration or moisturization of skin can cause dry and flakiness.
- Harsh chemicals– Use of harsh chemicals in soaps and face washes can make your skin feel drier than normal.
- Sun Exposure– Your face is most exposed to sunlight and can darken faster than any other covered regions of your body. So you need to apply proper sunscreen on your face to protect from the harmful UVA and UVB rays. UVA and UVB rays can cause tanning of skin, redness and also skin cancer if not taken care of properly.
- Lack of Nutrition– If you are not eating properly or eating less than usual, it can be clearly seen on your skin. Malnutrition can cause dry flaky skin and redness around eyes and eyebrow areas.
- Hot Water- If you are used to taking long hot showers during bath time, you might want to tone it down a bit. Hot showers can cause your pores to open up and release the sebum in your face making it hydrate. This can cause dryness of skin.
- Medical Factors– Some medicals factors like psoriasis can cause your face to dry up quicker.
Psoriasis is a skin condition caused by auto immune disease. It can cause swelling, pain, redness and scaly skin. Psoriasis on your face can cause huge problems other than physical complications public image issues causing emotional stress can be seen in some people also. Discoloration and swelling on the eyebrows hairline and or near the forehead can be sign of early psoriasis. You should immediately contact a Skin specialist and get it checked out.
Ways you can get rid of that dry skin
- Exfoliate- Exfoliating is the process of scrubbing dead skin off of your face with a exfoliator or some good face scrub.
- Hydrate- Drinking more water is the key here. If you drink enough water your skin will feel naturally hydrated.
- Moisturize– If you’re at home or you are going out with friends, do not forget to moisturize your face. After a shower or even after a long workout session, your face might need the moisturizer to stay fresh. Use a deep nourishing moisturizer that goes deep into your dermal layer and heals it from underneath.
- Sunscreen-Your face is most exposed to sunlight while you go out. If want to protect your skin from harmful rays of the sun, you should use a good sunscreen. A sunscreen with moisturizing and hydrating properties can be better to use for dry skin.
The best way to beat dead skin is to exfoliate. Exfoliation helps get rid of the accumulated dead skin on your face making in more dry and lifeless. Some manual exfoliants can be:-
- Wash cloth
- Natural sponge
- Face scrubs
If you find face scrubs too expensive to buy from shops, Here are some good face scrub recipes you can make at home:-
Homemade face scrub recipes
- Grinded Coffee (3 tbsp)
- 3 tablespoon of water
- If you have ground coffee at home you can use that to make the face scrub or instant coffee can also be used.
- Mix water to the coffee and scrub in circular motion to get rid of dead skin cells.
- Wash your face off with water.
- Repeat these steps twice every week for best results.
Green Tea Scrub
- Green Tea
- 1 tablespoon of Honey
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- Boil and strain green tea in a cup.
- Let the tea cool down and mix a tablespoon of sugar into it.
- Mix honey into the tea and stir well.
- Scrub the mixture onto your face and wash your face with cold water after the scrubbing.
- Repeat this process twice a week and see visible results.
Green tea having anti-bacterial properties and honey having anti-inflammatory properties are excellent for face maintenance.
- Dark chocolate
- 1 cup of sugar
- 2 tablespoon of grinded coffee
- Half cup of coconut oil
- Melt the dark chocolate using a double boiler or in a microwave oven.
- Mix the sugar, coconut oil and coffee and stir the mixture up.
- Store the mixture in an airtight container and use it as required.
- When you use it, evenly spread it across your whole face and scrub in circular motion and then wash off with cold water.
- Repeat this once every week.
Chocolate being high in anti-oxidants and having good anti-aging properties is perfect for face scrub to eliminate dead skin cells.
- 2 cups of White clay powder
- 1 cup of oatmeal
- 4 tablespoon of crushed almonds
- 2 tablespoon of crushed up rose petals
- 1 cup of Coconut milk
- Add all the ingredients in a bowl and mix everything well.
- Add the milk in small quantities till it forms a paste.
- Use this face scrub gently onto your face and feel it becoming soft after every use.
- Try this scrub once a week.
If you do not like face scrubs, you can always opt for sheet face masks and face packs instead. Sheet face masks are the new found beauty secret from East Asian countries where a thin sheet of paper like mask is dipped in various nourishing ingredients good for your skin. These masks provide nourishment and moisturize your skin, hydrating it from the dermal layers. If sheet mask are not available near you, then you can go for the face packs instead.
Here are some face packs to rejuvenate dry and lifeless skin and you can easily make them with household products:-
Curd-Gram Flour Pack
- Two Tablespoons of Gram flour/Besan
- 1 Tablespoon of Curd
- Mix the besan/gram flour and curd in a bowl.
- Apply the mixture on your face evenly and let it sit for about 20-25 minutes.
- Wash it off and apply a thin layer of moisturizer.
- You can repeat this process for 2 to 3 times a week.
This pack can remove dirt from pores, and dead skin cells to give you a flawless and glowing skin.
Multani Mitti Face Pack
- 2 tablespoons of Multani mitti
- One tablespoon of honey
- A cup of Water
- Add the honey to the Multani mitti powder and mix everything up well.
- Pour some water to get the right kind of paste consistency.
- Apply the pack all over your face and let it sit for about 15 minutes.
- Rinse it off with water.
- Apply a light layer of moisturizer after washing off your face.
Sandalwood Face Pack
- One tablespoon of sandalwood powder ( also known as Chandan)
- ¼th teaspoon of coconut oil
- One tablespoon of rose water
- Mix everything up in a bowl and apply it evenly on your face.
- Leave it on your face for about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Wash the face pack off completely with cool water.
- Apply moisturizer after that.
Face mists are also a very easy alternative to hydrate your dry face. Spraying a bit of face mist or hydrating toner can make you feel refreshed for a long time if you are outdoors or working long office hours. Here is an interesting face mist recipe you can make for yourself at home:-
Peppermint-Lavender Mist Spray Recipe
Peppermint having a great cooling effect is perfect for this mist recipe. If you are out and about during the day time, chances are you will be scorched by the sun rays. A spray of this mist can awaken your dead dull skin in an instance. Lavender also has healing and anti-inflammatory properties making this spray mist perfect for the summer time.
- 1-2 peppermint tea bags
- 2 to 4 drops of lavender essential oil
- Dunk the tea bag in boiling water till the water is infused with peppermint.
- Let the tea cool completely before adding the lavender oil.
- Stir the mixture well and pour it into a glass spray bottle.
- Store the bottle in refrigerator to keep fresh and lost lasting.
Rose Water Mist
Rose water is said to revitalize and maintain pH balance of your skin. The calming aroma can also be used to de-stress and relax during sleep.
- Half cup of rose water( If you do not have rose water available at home, you can also buy rose petals and boil them in water and strain the water to get freshly made rose water)
- 1 tablespoon of jojoba oil( you can use sweet almond oil or coconut oil if you do not have jojoba oil)
- Mix the ingredients and store it in a glass spritz bottle.
- Keep the bottle in the fridge to cool it and it can last as long as 15 days.
Although there are many skin care secrets for dry skin, the most important thing to remember is to eat healthy and fresh and drink lots of water. Your healthy body will itself show results by giving the skin a healthy glow. Take care of your skin even in busy schedule so that the effects of it can be seen as you grow older.