Our hair is the most beautiful asset that we have and without a doubt, every one of us likes bouncy, frizz-free hair. But when it comes to hair care, it definitely seems to be a really big challenge. However, this problem can be solved to a major extent with the use of a magic ingredient, which we can easily find in our homes. This magic ingredient is none other than Olive oil. Olive oil is being used by people for ages for cooking and many other things. Surprisingly, using olive oil for hair can add shine to it and moisturize it, making it voluminous and attractive.
Our hair has to go through a lot. Be it harsh weather, pollution, dust, dandruff and what not! All these things make it extremely difficult for our hair to survive and grow. And as a result, it loses its moisture and shine. The major chemical constituents of olive oil are oleic acid, palmitic acid, and squalene. All these substances are known to make the hair soft. After using shampoo, people generally use conditioners, which claim to lock the moisture of the hair. But sadly, it just increases the exposure of our hair to more and more chemicals. On the other hand, olive oil can act as a very nice conditioner while providing several other benefits.
Must Read : What To Eat For Healty Hair
Benefits Of Using Olive Oil For Hair
1. A Natural Moisturizer
Our hair becomes dry and frizzy with the exposure to different chemical agents and pollution. Using olive oil for hair provides a perfect solution to this as it acts as a natural conditioner and restores the moisture to our hair that it has lost. It deeply moisturizes the hair follicles and makes it shiny, soft and frizz free.
2. Olive Oil For Hair-For Smooth Ends
All of us would agree to the fact that smooth hair is easy to carry. When it is nourished to the roots, it becomes more manageable. The hair ends get damaged more as compared to the upper portion. But by providing proper nourishment and care, we can prevent the damage. Using olive oil for hair, makes it soft and smooth till the ends.
3. A Cure For Dandruff
A major reason for dandruff is dryness in scalp. With regular massage of our scalp with olive oil, we can easily protect our scalp from dandruff and prevent its re-occurrence. Olive oil has substances that are known for their softening abilities and thus provide the exact amount of moisture that our scalp needs and hence, prevents dryness and dandruff.
4. An Enemy To The Split Ends
Split ends, once again, are signs of damaged hair. It usually happens that, our hair doesn’t get the proper nourishment that it requires. As a result, the ends become prone to damage and split ends occur. Applying olive oil to the damaged ends helps them recover and prevents further breaking and damage.
5. Olive oil for hair growth
Olive oil is considered to be very good for growth of our hair. A regular massage helps increase the blood circulation in our scalp and thus helps our hair to grow better. Olive oil is also known to add volume to our hair and make the hair follicles stronger. All of these promote a faster growth of healthy and thick hair.
Must Read : How To Protect Hair From Chlorinated Pool Water
How To Use?
Using correct method for applying olive oil to our hair and scalp can work wonders. For best results, we must have the accurate measurement and method for applying olive oil to our hair.
1. Accurate Measure
If you are trying this oil for the first time on your hair, use just a tablespoon or two, according to the length of your hair. The quantity of oil used should depend on the purpose, that is, whether you want to deeply moisturize it or massage your scalp. For Long and thick hair, the quantity should be more as compared to thin and short hair.
2. Massaging For The Best Results
You may use a double boiler to lightly warm the oil. After it is done, use your finger tips to gently massage the oil into your scalp in circular motion. Once you are done with the scalp, take strands of hair and move your fingers from root to the ends. When you are done with the oiling, use a shower cap and let it soak for 15-20 minutes.
3. Rinse thoroughly
Use a mild shampoo for rinsing your hair. You may need to shampoo twice, depending on the quantity of oil that you have applied. After rinsing, dry your hair naturally. Avoid using dryers or heating devices. You may use olive oil for conditioning as well. Use a wide toothed comb to comb your hair gently. Do not comb wet hair.
You may use olive oil for your hair when:
- You have dry and thick hair to make it smooth and strong.
- Your hair undergoes a lot of heat treatments. This kind of hair is usually benefits from its use.
- Your ends are broken and you get split ends frequently.
Olive Oil Packs For Hair That Work Wonders
1. Olive Oil And Honey Mixture
Take three tablespoons of olive oil and add two teaspoons of honey to it. Massage this mixture gently into the scalp and apply it to the whole volume moving from roots to tips. Leave it for 20 minutes and rinse thoroughly. This would make your hair smooth and glossy.
2. Cinnamon, Honey And Olive Oil Pack To Prevent Hair Loss
Take one tablespoon each of cinnamon powder, honey and olive oil and mix them into a smooth mixture. Apply this mixture to the tips of your hair and leave it for 15-20 minutes. Rinse your hair thoroughly. You may use this mixture twice a week to prevent hair loss.
3. Olive Oil And Avocado Mixture For Long Hair
Take an avocado and scoop the flesh out of it. Blend it into a smooth paste. Add one tablespoon of olive oil to it. Apply this mixture to your hair, running the fingers lengthwise. Leave it for 15-20 minutes and rinse it thoroughly. This will promote growth of healthy hair.
4. Olive Oil And Egg White Mixture
Take an egg and separate the white portion from the yellow one. Whisk the egg white and add one tablespoon of olive oil to it. You may add one teaspoon honey, if you have dry hair. Apply this mixture to your scalp and use a shower cap. Rinse your hair after 20 minutes. This will give you thick and voluminous hair.
Precautions To Be Taken While Using Olive Oil For Hair:
- It has been seen that, olive oil generally does not suit thin hair. It works better for thick hair. One should always experiment with a little amount of oil before making continuous use.
- For hair that has oily texture, use of olive oil may add to the amount of oil on scalp.
- Applying excessive oil on the scalp for longer durations may lead to acne on face. Oil sticks dirt and dust and this might cause acne. One should make sure that he/she has a clean and dry face while applying oil.
- One should not keep the oil on scalp for too long as it may make the hair sticky.
- One should avoid exposure to dirt and pollution while he/she has applied oil on scalp.
- Using the right quantity of olive oil for hair may give desired results.
Follow K4 Fashion on Instagram for latest updates from fashion world. Stay tuned!
(Reviewed by Dr. Sarika)
You’ll Also Like
- Natural Home Remedies: How To Get Rid Of Oily Hair
- Fish Oil For Hair Care – Benefits, Side Effects, How To Use/Apply
- Tips To Use Hair Wax For Men & Women
- Homemade Yeast Mask For Natural Hair Treatments
- French Carre Haircut: It’s Time To Go Chin-Length