Are you suffering from this skin or hair problem? Then no need to worry, this ingredient of our product is clinically tested and will heal your problems. Do try our product for more youthful and glowing skin, recharge your skin and add radiance”. You might have seen such an advertisement for many cosmetics, which claims that this ingredient of our product will definitely cure your skin or hair problem.
But For an ingredient that is calming, are those ingredients approved by authority? Can any cosmetics heal your problems as medicine do? Yes, some cosmetics uses clinically tested ingredient or drugs that can play the role of not only healing but also beautifying. And such products are called COSMACEUTICALS.
Cosmeceutical is a common term that is used by many cosmetics industries these days but it is not approved by any regulatory authority. Cosmeceuticals are the combination of two terms – cosmetics and pharmaceutical or drugs. Then what do these terms actually mean? Let’s see. According to Drugs and cosmetics law 1940, Drugs are the products that cure, treat, mitigate or prevent disease or that affect the structure or function of the human body.
Whenever drugs come to market, it is always approved by FDA. Cosmetics are products, intended to beautify, promote attractiveness, alter appearance, or cleanse. Whenever cosmetics cosmetic comes to market they have to undergo a various evaluation process.
In the case of cosmetics, FDA approval is not mandatory as it does not affect the structure or function of the body. But all process of cosmetics development is rigorously evaluated. There are some drugs that are able to cure, mitigate or prevent disease as well as promote attractiveness and alter one’s appearance. So drugs are for beauty too. Let’s see some conditions where drugs are used as Cosmeceuticals.
List of drugs used for beautifying
- Properties–ceramides are made up of long-chain fatty acids. Ceramides build up a barrier that prevents moisture loss. So it keeps skin hydrated. So it prevents dryness and smoothens skin.
- Pros-Ceramides are used to reduce dryness, reduce smooth lines and wrinkles. It is available in creams, lotions, moisturizer form.
- Cons-It may show an allergic reaction in some patients. Before using these creams on the face, patients should try a small proportion of this cream on the skin to check allergies. Anti-aging action is slow. Packaging abnormalities, air, light exposure may result in ineffectiveness.
2. Hyaluronic acid:
- Properties– It is a naturally occurring glycosaminoglycan found in skin, joints, eyes. It is a component of the skin, which makes skin hydrated.
- Pros– It acts as an anti-aging, moisturizer, wound healings, Anti-wrinkle agent. It is used in eczema. It is a natural substance, so topical preparation of hyaluronic acid shows does not show allergies.
- Cons– It should not be used in pregnancy and cancer.
- Properties-Peptides like Matrixial, Cu-GHK are fragments of dermal collagen, which stimulate collagen synthesis. Argireline mimics the action of botulinum toxin, which is a neurotransmitters inhibitor. It helps in muscle relaxation and hence reduces wrinkles.
- Pros– These peptides are used in wound healing. It also reduces wrinkle shows anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant activity. It stimulates collagen production. So it is beneficial in erythema. It is also useful to improve skin texture and reduce aging signs.
Now a day many of us have an attraction to herbal products. Such botanical products can also be used as Cosmeceuticals.
- Soy– It stimulates collagen production. And hence used to build up skin in old age/menopause women where skin thinning is seen. It is used in a variety of dermatological conditions due to its antioxidant property and phytoestrogen effect.
- Green tea– Green tea contain polyphenols that show antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activity. So it stimulates collagen production and protects skin against sun damage. So green tea extracts are added into sunscreen lotions or creams.
- Ginkgo biloba-It shows anti-inflammatory and antioxidant activity. So it is added to many botanical products.
- Ginseng– Ginseng shows many health beneficiary actions. In the case of dermatological conditions, it increases the level of hyaluronic acid which is decreased during aging.
Although botanical is safe and beneficial in many skin conditions, but at some point, it also shows side effects. Due to the randomized concentration of dose of these ingredients different side effects are seen. A person who is allergic to these ingredients should stop using these products.
Many marketed skincare products having the same ingredients may or may not be promising to improve appearance, heal any disease conditions because their concentration is different. Drugs should be used for beauty after approval of specific authority, which these products the concentrations of the ingredients.
Dermatologists will prescribe you the best-suited ingredients to patients. If patients feel any side effects then, they should stop the usage of these non-prescription products. And should consult Dermatologists about the best-suited skincare product for their skin type.