Fruits are considered as blessings of nature. Fruits not only contain water, nutrients, fiber and anti-oxidants as well. They are healthy, full filling and all around beneficial for our body. But there lies a misconception of fruits having excessive amounts of sugar. Although fruits may have high amounts of fructose but our body is well adapted to metabolize this sugar in little amounts.
Higher intake of fruits can decrease the chances of health diseases. The potassium in some fruits can reduce the chances of heart stroke and kidney stones. Potassium also helps in decreasing bone loss in older ages. Folate from fruits can help your body make the needed Red blood cells. If you are looking for a way to lose a few Kilos without the hassle of going on a strict diet or unnecessary stress due to intensive dieting, juice diet or juice cleanse is a way to go.
But replacing all the meals and drinking only juices can have adverse effect to your health. So, instead of a full juice cleanse, drinking fruit juices sometimes as a meal alternative is better. The juices are rich in minerals, antioxidants and nutrients help burn a lot of calories. A fresh fruit juice and a quick work out can go a long way towards weight loss and a healthy body.
Fruits alone have a lot of beneficial properties. But to enhance the flavors and nutritional values of a juice, vegetables can also be added.
Juice Cleanse and its Health Effects
Juice cleanse also known as juice fasting is a popular concept among serious weight watchers. It is a detoxifying diet that involves food (both fruits and vegetables) intake only in the form of liquid for a span of 3-4 days staright. But this popular diet has many side effects as well.
- Intake of large amounts of liquid can lead to kidney disorder and juices containing oxalate can promote kidney stones.
- Consumption of unpasteurized juices can cause serious illness and stomach disorders and weaken the immune system.
- Insufficient amount of calorie intake in the body can lead to low blood sugar levels and cause dehydration, weakness, fainting and headaches.
- Juice cleanse can also lead to gallbladder and liver problems with the lack of nutrients you get from actual food.
- Athletes are strongly suggested to avoid this juice cleanse as it can lead to reduction of muscle mass. The improper intake of protein and carbs can have adverse effects on the body and reduce your muscle mass while you also lose your weight.
So depending solely on juices for weight loss might do more harm than actual good. It is better to replace one of the daily meals with a healthy juice and work out naturally for a better appropriate weight loss. Health experts around the world do not condone to this diet plan and recommend people to opt for a healthy and balanced diet and good workout routine to shed those calories naturally.
Fruits that are best for healthy fruit juices
- Watermelon– Watermelon is one of the most refreshing and hydrating fruit of all. It has about 93% water which can promote weight loss by eliminating toxins and helps you reduce your appetite. Watermelon consumption while working out can help immensely in weight loss.
- Apple-Apples are high in fiber and known to be very low in calories. So an apple can definitely help with weight loss.
- Banana– Banana is avoided by most people due to it containing high amounts of sugar and calories. But bananas have more nutrients and vitamins than any other fruits. It is high in magnesium, potassium, fiber, vitamin A, C AND B6. It also helps control Cholesterol and Diabetes.
- Strawberries and Other berries– Strawberries have high amounts of vitamin C and dietary fibers in them. Blackberries have manganese and Vitamin K along with Vitamin C which are excellent for a natural diet and maintaining a healthy body. Raspberries have high fiber content and tons of Vitamin C. Cranberries are known to reduce blood pressure and control cholesterol.
- Oranges– Oranges are a filling fruit loaded with Vitamin C. It is also low in calories and high in anti-oxidants. Orange juices are often consumed in our everyday life for breakfast and are a good source of nutrient for a diet.
- Kiwis– This nutrient filled food is rich in Vitamins C and E. It is also known to reduce blood pressure and control diabetes which in turn helps with weight loss.
- Grapes – This anti-inflammatory fruit is rich in Vitamin C and anti-oxidants and helps your body absorb iron. Their small size is perfect snack option and can be used as an add-on ingredient in any juice. They are also 83% water which is perfect as a weight loss drink.
- Grape Fruit– Do not get confused with grapes. Grapefruit is a citrus fruit filled with Vitamin C. Grapefruits are known to have a low Glycemic Index and can release sugar into the bloodstream at a slow rate. Drinking Grapefruit juice before a meal can help control your calorie intake, reduce cholesterol and reduce weight.
- Pineapples- It is one of the most beloved fruits. It is rich in thiamin, magnesium, Vitamin B6, C, copper, iron and folate. It is very effective against weight loss and also can reduce heart diseases. Pineapples are known to improve skin and hair as well making it a super fruit.
- Pear- This protein packed fruit is filled with all kinds of nutrients and vitamins which help detoxify the body against toxins and help with diabetes and cholesterol as well making it super-efficient for weight loss and dieting.
- Papaya– One of the most common fruits used in every Indian household. Papayas either raw ones or ripe ones are filled with Fibers and Vitamins. They help people achieve a glowing skin; can be used as an anti-inflammatory fruit for face packs and works wonders for weight loss.
- Pomegranate – This gem of a fruit also resembles the gem ruby from the inside. When cracked open, it reveals tiny seeds of Ruby like Pomegranates which does not only control cholesterol but also help fight hyperglycemia and high blood pressure making it a fruit worthy of trying for weight loss.
- Indian Gooseberry( Amla)- This fruit is not a sugary fruit like the others, but it has sufficient amount of Vitamin C which can increase metabolism rate and reduce accumulation of fats building up in your body.
- Mango- This summer fruit is an incredible anti-oxidant which also helps clean the digestive system. It is rich in Vitamins and fiber. Although it has a high calorie count but mango juice is an excellent alternative for breakfast during weight loss and diet.
- Coconut– Coconut water is filled with electrolytes and is good for hydration and helps the digestive system. While the meat of coconut could have a lot of calories, they can provide many health benefits like lowering bad cholesterol, having significant effect on the digestive system and stabilize blood pressure.
To make fruit juices even more flavorful and rich in nutrients here are some vegetables used in juices perfect for Weight Loss:-
- Aloe Vera
- Bitter Gourd
- Turmeric Root
Here are 10 fruit juice recipes to try at home (You can also add a vegetable or two to increase the nutrient value).
Fruit juice recipes to try at home
- 1 cup of diced watermelon(seedless)
- A teaspoon of salt
- 2-3 mint leaves
- Throw the diced watermelon into a blender/mixed grinder.
- Pour the watermelon juice into a glass (with or without ice).
- Add the salt and stir. You can also add black salt for a better taste.
- Garnish the juice with mint leaves.
- 4 indian gooseberries
- 1/4th teaspoon of cayenne pepper( or regular chili powder)
- 1/4th teaspoon of black salt
- De-seed the gooseberries and chop them.
- Blend them up thoroughly.
- Strain the juice using a fine strainer or muslin cloth into a chilled glass.
- Add cayenne pepper (chili powder) and black salt to taste. Stir the juice well.
- 1 cup of pomegranate seeds
- 1 teaspoon of Lemon Juice
- A few of mint leaves for garnish
- 1/4th teaspoon of black pepper(roughly powdered)
- Pour the pomegranate seeds into a blender and give it a whirl.
- Strain the juice using a muslin cloth into a glass.( Muslin cloth is better for straining as you can squeeze the juice efficiently)
- Add the lemon juice, black pepper and chopped or teared up mint leaves. Stir it well.
- Serve with ice cubes or drink at normal temperature.
- 1 lemon( cut)
- 1-2 teaspoon of honey
- 1/2 cup of warm water
- Using a strainer, squeeze lemon juice into a glass.
- Add the warm water and honey and stir it well until honey dissolves.
Coconut Water Drink-
- 2 cups of fresh coconut water
- Coconut meat strips
- 3-5 strawberries
- 1 peach
- 1 apple
- Black pepper to taste.
- Chop the apple, coconut, and peach and blend them up in a mixer grinder.
- Add the cut up strawberries and give it a mix.
- Add the coconut water and coconut as per your taste.
- Stir the drink well and serve with crushed ice.
Apple Ginger Weight Loss Drink-
- 1 apple cut up.
- Half inch of ginger root
- 6-7 green or black grapes
- Lime juice
- Mint leaves to garnish.
- Chop the apple, ginger root, and the mint leaves into diced shapes.
- Toss them in the food processor.
- Add the chopped grapes and mix it.
- Finally, add a bit of lime juice and a little salt to taste.
- Serve chilled or room temperature.
Melon and Aloe Drink-
- 16 medium sized dices of watermelon
- One inch of an Aloe Vera leaf
- 2-4 strawberries
- 1 cut up kiwi
- A little black pepper to taste
- Split the Aloe Vera leaf in the middle and scoop out the gel inside with a spoon.
- Toss all the ingredients into a food processor and give it a good spin for 3-5 minutes.
- Add a little black pepper or salt and drink it chilled for better taste.
Litchi and Pomegranate Drink-
- Half cup of pomegranate
- Half cup of chopped litchi
- Half of a bowl of lime juice
- A dash of black salt or regular salt
- Toss the pomegranate and litchi into the food processor.
- Food processor should strain the juice itself or if you are using a blender, strain the juice properly.
- Add the salt and lime juice. Stir it well and serve chilled.
Apple, Ginger and Carrot Juice-
- Half cup of chopped carrots
- Half cup of chopped apples
- Half an inch of ginger root
- 1 tablespoon of juice from lime
- A pinch of black salt to taste.
- Throw all the ingredients minus the salt into a blender. Give it a good spin for 3-5 minutes.
- Strain the juice from the blender into a glass.
- Add the lemon juice and salt. Stir it well and serve with ice.
Grapes and Beetroot Juice-
- Half cup of black grapes
- 1 cup of finely chopped beetroot
- Half cup of honey(or less if you want it less sweet)
- Half teaspoon of roasted cumin seed (powdered)
- A little salt to taste
- Blend the grapes and beetroot using a mixer.
- Strain the mixture into a glass.
- Add the honey, salt, and cumin seed powder and stir the juice well.
- Serve with ice for a better taste.
It is always advised to consult a board certified dietitian before trying any diet plan for the sake of your own well-being. It is better to eat the whole fruit and not juice it, as the pulp of the fruit contains nutrients and fibers necessary for your health. So you should consult a health expert on the perfect diet plan suited just for you. Remember not to get on a unhealthy diet lifestyle just for the sake of losing weight as it might harm your body internally and cause concerns.