Who don’t like rains? Monsoon is the time we always enjoy getting drenched and enjoy the rain falling on us. But we cannot ignore the fact which doctors say that hair is in its weakest form during monsoons. And we love our hair. So, we need to take special care in that season.
Why Should We Take Special Care In Monsoon?
Hair requires special care during monsoon because of the humidity in the air as well as frequent rains. A lot of problems like frizzy hair, dandruff, itchy hair, greasy hair, hair fall, and many others torments us. It is because of the stickiness caused due to the presence of heavy humidity in the air and also frequent outings. We sweat a lot and it gives us itchy feeling as well. And sweat attracts lots of toxins, pollutants from the air and it gets settles on our scalp which clogs the pores hence causing problems like hair fall, itchiness, etc.
Due to heavy downpour during the rainy season, it becomes very important to one to prevent hair related problems.
How Should One Take Care Of Their Hair?
So here is the list of instructions to follow on a daily basis:
1. Eat Proper
The first thing you can do is eat properly by including proteins, iron and omega 3 fatty acids like eggs, lean meat, pulses, walnuts, spinach, curd, etc. in your meals. These will keep your scalp from unwanted problems and also strengthens hair follicles.
2. Cover Your Head
When you go out to use either umbrella or raincoat with headgear. Leaving your hair uncovered while raining makes your hair weak it makes your hair brittle so make sure to cover your hair. Don’t let it get wet. Always try to keep your hair dry.
3. Best Time To Experiment
If you ever want to experiment with your hair then the rainy season is the best to do. To avoid frizzy hair or brittleness, you can put short hair as it becomes easy to comb and also easy to cover your hair. If you don’t want to have the hair cut then choose the type of haircut which causes less frizz to your hair and then it is recommended to tie your hair loosely like a braid or like a bun.
4. Do Proper Drying
In case your hair becomes wet, use proper fabric to dry your hair. Like use a cotton towel and gently pat over your hair. You can also tie your towel gently onto your hair. These can help in drying your hair gently.
5. Use Wide-Toothed Comb
Avoid combing your hair when wet. But if at all you want to comb use a wide-toothed comb to allow it to flow smoothly onto the hair. But it is recommended to comb your hair after drying as when wet hair is really weak which causes hair to fall.
6. Oil Your Hair
Oiling is the best way to avoid dryness of your hair. It acts akin to conditioner. Massaging your scalp with oils like coconut oil, olive oil can help in retaining moisture in your hair. And let your hair be oiled overnight and then wash it with a mild shampoo.
But remember to not overdo oiling as in order to remove oil you will end up using more shampoo.
7. Use Mild Shampoo
If at all you get drenched in the rain. Immediately after coming home wash your hair. When it comes to washing your hair always use shampoos which will help in the prevention of fungal and bacterial growth. The usage of clarifying shampoos is recommended as it helps in removing toxins from your hair.
Or else you can also go natural by soaking neem leaves in Luke warm water as neem can help in preventing fungal infections.
You can also try different types of mild shampoos and based on your hair type try changing the shampoos and get settled with the shampoo which suits you the best but only considers buying in small portions. If at all you have any allergic reactions make sure to stop using the shampoos and try consulting doctors for better assistance.
8. Condition Properly
If you are using conditioner make sure to apply it to the endings of the hair and not to the scalp. And then ensure washing your hair with Luke warm water.
9. Don’t Wash Your Hair Frequently
Make sure to wash your hair for every 2 days and mind to use mild shampoos, always shampoo from root to tip.
Here are the home remedies which you can follow in the monsoon based on the hair problem:
Home Remedies for Hair Care During Rainy Season
1. For Oily Scalp
Curd + lime
- This mixture balances the PH level on the scalp
- Firstly, take one tablespoon of curd and then add half a tablespoon of lemon juice by squeezing lemon in the bowl.
- It is recommended to apply this once in a week
Rosewater + water + lime
- Take half a glass of rosewater and for other half add water
- To the above mixture add lime juice by squeezing lime
- Use this mixture to wash your hair in the last rinse of your hair wash
2. For Frizzy Hair
olive oil + almond oil
- Take one tablespoon of olive oil and half tablespoon of almond oil
- This mixture helps in moisturizing your scalp
- Apply this mixture twice in a week on your scalp and then wash it off using a mild shampoo
banana + olive oil
- take one banana mash it in a bowl and make it as a pulp
- add to the above mixture one tablespoon of olive oil and mix well
- this mixture is very hydrating in nature and also, it moisturizes your hair
- apply this mixture to the middle-end of your hair and apply it once in a week
3. For Dandruff
neem oil/ almond oil/ coconut oil + tea tree oil
- to your regular oil add 2-3 drops of tea tree oil
- and massage this mixture on your scalp
- put it on for overnight
- and then wash it off using a regular mild shampoo
- the mixture is kind of anti-fungal which helps you to get rid of dandruff
- do it twice a week
apple cider vinegar + water + rosemary essential oil
- take one glass of water to it add one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- and to the above mixture add 2-3 drops of Rosemary essential oil
- this mixture is used as a last rinse of your wash
- this mixture helps to get rid of any kind of infections and rosemary calms your scalp
4. For Hair Fall
honey + almond oil + chamomile leaves
- take a bowl and add one cup of chamomile leaves to it and add honey and almond oil in proper proportion
- apply it to the scalp and leave it for an hour
- then rinse it with a mild shampoo
- Helps your hair in getting conditioned and also helps your hair in looking thicker
hair mask- amla + lemon
- take a cup of sliced amla in a bowl and grind it to become a paste
- add lemon juice to it
- and apply it to the scalp and make sure to keep it on your scalp for at least 2 hours
5. For Itchy Hair
vinegar + water
- take about a glass of water and add vinegar to it
- use this water at the end of shampooing and rinse with this water
- this helps in getting rid of itchiness
mild shampoo + tea tree oil
- use 2-3 drops of tea tree oil with your mild shampoo
- and rinse your hair with this mixture
- this helps to get rid of all the settled toxins on your scalp which has led to itchiness
stay healthy and eat healthily. Apart from home remedies, you can try products that are available ready-made in the market. In this busy world, we may not have time to take care of your hair but following basic instructions can prevent you from greater damage. And if you feel your hair problems are not getting cured or prevented then do consult a doctor immediately.