Hairstyles tell about the personality and nature of men and women. Everyone cares about their hair and consult with their hair experts for silky and shiny hair. Let’s know how your kitchen king potato can help?
Hair loss (alopecia) being the major problem in the world, deciding the appearance of a person drastically and lowering the morale of the person who is bald. Overall, it decides not only looks but also tells a lot about his personality. Many herbal medicines were tried but nothing worked. Sweet potato for hair growth in recently conducted studies proved to be satisfactory. Firstly we will talk about the causes of hair fall.
Causes of Hair Loss
There are many causes of hair loss but the most important cause is genetic heredity.
Other causes being :
- Hormonal changes or imbalance.
- Medications or supplements that damage hair.
- Radiation therapy to an individual.
- A stressful job.
- Excessive hairstyling or hairstyles where the hair is pulled.
Risk factors of hair loss being :
- Family history of alopecia especially in grandparents.
- Excessive weight loss
- Diabetes or SLE
- Stressful lifestyle
Must Read: What To Eat For Healthy Hair
Sweet Potato For Hair Growth
Sweet potato as it grows below the ground, gets along the growth, some abundant amount of nutrients and minerals.
These nutrients have a diverse role to play in the body. Each nutrient and mineral have got a pivot role to combat health-related problems. One of them is to combat hair loss. Here are a few nutrients and minerals present in sweet potato for hair growth :
Sweet Potatoes are a good source of Beta-carotene
- Beta-carotene is the orange pigment abundant in plants and fruits such as carrots and oranges.
- This carotenoid is rich in antioxidants and is converted into vitamin A in the body on consumption.
- Vitamin A is necessary for the epithelial growth of cells.
- A deficiency in Vitamin A may lead to hindered scalp development which results in dandruff and excessively dry hair that breaks easily.
Sweet Potatoes are rich in iron
- Iron is required for making red blood cells, which carry oxygen to the body tissues.
- Recent studies conducted in the U.K have lead understand the importance of iron for hair growth along with its other functions.
- To back this up another study of Korean Medical Science has revealed that deficiency of iron may lead to hair loss similar to the pattern of genetic heredity in males.
- Sweet potatoes contain. 68 milligrams of iron per 100 grams, making it important food to consume for the growth of hair.
Sweet Potatoes abundant with copper
- Copper is a trace mineral found in your body and food such as seafood, kale, mushrooms, seeds, goats cheese, etc.,.
- There is 0.278 mg of Copper per 100g of sweet potato. This trace element is an excellent weapon against hair loss.
- A study was conducted on rodents that discovered an increase in the rat’s hair follicle size and concluded that copper works on hair growth in a similar way to the minoxidil drug.
Sweet Potatoes are supercharged with Vitamin C
- Vitamin C, also known as ascorbic acid is a water-soluble vitamin present in lemons, oranges, peaches, etc..
- Vitamin C is also present in Sweet Potato, which assists in collagen production and can also help to improve your immune system as poor immune function leads to hair loss and reduces its strength and Sweet potato for hair growth will prove to be beneficial.
Sweet Potato is packed with Vitamin B6 and B12
- Most important androgen in the body, Dihydrotestosterone or DHT.
- As we already know, DHT is synthesized from testosterone, which is widely regarded as the culprit behind androgen-dependent alopecia in males.
- Studies have shown found that immediate supplementation with B vitamins is needed to quickly reverse hair loss due to DHT Harmon.
- B vitamins have been found to increase blood flow to the scalp, creating the perfect environment for healthy hair growth and stronger, nourished hair follicles.
Must Read: Hair Care During Pregnancy
Few other health benefits of sweet potatoes
- Improves digestion
- Helps in weight gain
- Wound healing
- Strengthens the immune system.
How To Use Sweet Potato For Hair Loss And Dry Hair:
If DRY HAIR :
Struggling with maintaining the moisture of your hair? Sweet potato is the way to go! With all of those nutrients, sweet potato provides massive nourishment to the dry strands of your hair. Vitamin A will boost up your dry scalp’s natural oils, by sealing the moisture and promoting hair growth while the Omega-3 fatty acids add lustre by nourishing the hair follicles.
If HAIR LOSS :
The Pro-vitamin A that is converted into vitamin A (a fat-soluble vitamin) in our bodies is necessary for all cell growth, including the growth of hair. Vitamin A deficiency can lead to dull, dry and damaged hair. Remember to not overdo vitamin A use, as too much can paradoxically lead to hair loss.
Here are a few recipes that will keep those tresses shiny, moisturized, and strong apart from other known benefits.
Sweet Potato With Honey As Hair Conditioner
Ingredients and tools
- 1 medium-size sweet potato
- A cup of fat yoghurt
- 1 Tbsp. of pure honey
- 3 Tbsp. of white coconut cream
- 4 drops of clove oil (optional)
- 5 drops of vanilla oil (optional)
- And a Double boiler
Direction of use
- Peel-off and cut the sweet potato.
- Let the sweet potato boil and later add coconut cream to melt in a double boiler (or it can be melt in the microwave at 30-sec bursts).
- Drain the water of the sweet potatoes and whip it in a food processor or a hand-held beater.
- Pour it in the melted coconut cream, yoghurt, honey, and blend it until it gets very smooth.
- Add the oils (optional)
- Apply the mixture to your hair while the conditioner is still warm and then cover it with a plastic cap and towel.
- Allow it to sit for 15 minutes and rinse it completely.
An alternative, a simpler recipe can also be prepared. Here’s one that will have you in and out of the shower within minutes.
Sweet Potato As Hair Conditioner
- 1 plain large sweet potato cooked and mashed
- 6 Tbsp. honey
- ½ cup of plain yoghurt (any per cent fat works)
Mix everything and apply to damp hair. Put on a plastic shower cap on the head and wait for 20 min. Before rinsing it off with water.
We have been audience about the amazing properties of sweet potato for hair for YEARS! If you’re concerned about your hair that has lost its shine and strength, you may need to add sweet potatoes to your daily diet.
1. Is Sweet Potato Good For Hair Growth?
Yes! Sweet potato is packed with essential vitamins and minerals that can help promote healthy hair growth. It contains Vitamin A which helps to stimulate the production of sebum, a natural oil found in the scalp that moisturizes and nourishes the scalp and hair. It also contains Vitamin C which helps to strengthen the hair follicles, while the Vitamin B6 helps to create melanin, which gives hair its natural color.
2. What Are the Benefits of Sweet Potato on Hair?
Sweet potato is known to be beneficial for the overall health of your hair. It is packed with essential vitamins and minerals that can help promote healthy hair growth and prevent hair loss. Sweet potato is also known to be rich in antioxidants, which help to protect against environmental damage and keep hair looking healthy and strong.
3. How Do You Use Sweet Potato on Hair?
There are many ways to use sweet potato on your hair. You can mash or boil the sweet potato and apply it directly onto your scalp or hair as a mask. You can also mix it with other ingredients such as honey, yogurt, or olive oil to create a more nourishing treatment for your hair.
4. Can Sweet Potato Help With Dandruff?
Yes, sweet potato can help with dandruff. It contains Vitamin A which helps to reduce the amount of sebum being produced by the scalp, which can help to reduce the amount of dandruff. Additionally, the antioxidants found in sweet potato can help to reduce the amount of inflammation on the scalp.
5. How Often Should You Use Sweet Potato on Hair?
It is recommended to use sweet potato on your hair once or twice a week. It is important to not overdo it as too much of anything can be damaging for your hair.
6. Does Sweet Potato Help With Hair Loss?
Yes, sweet potato can help with hair loss. It contains Vitamin B6 which helps to create melanin, which helps to give hair its natural color, while Vitamin C helps to strengthen the hair follicles and promote healthy hair growth.
7. What Are the Side Effects of Sweet Potato on Hair?
Sweet potato is generally considered safe to use on hair. However, it is important to be aware that it can cause scalp irritation if used too often. It is also important to not use too much of it as it can make your hair greasy.
8. How Do You Make a Sweet Potato Hair Mask?
Making a sweet potato hair mask is easy. Start by boiling or mashing a sweet potato and then mix it with other ingredients such as honey, yogurt, or olive oil. Apply the
Follow K4 Fashion on Instagram for the latest updates from the fashion world. Stay tuned!
(Reviewed by Dr. Sarika)
You’ll Also Like
- Home Remedies & Tips To Get Shiny Hair
- Vegetable For Hair Growth
- Natural Home Remedies For Dry Hair
- What To Eat For Thicker, Heathier and Stronger Hair
- Best Food For Skin & Hair