Fenugreek also is known as Trigonella foenum-graecum, is one of the oldest cultivated medicinal plants of native Europe and southern Asia. a very popular plant grown throughout Mediterranean regions, Argentina, North Africa, India, and the US. It is an annual plant of 2 feet long also considered a legume.
It belongs to the Leguminosae family. It produces light green leaves, small white flowers, and long pods each containing 10-20 small, hard golden brown seeds. Fenugreek seeds have a fairly bitter taste and pungent aroma and are a common household ingredient.
Fenugreek seeds have high nutritional benefits like a good amount of fiber, proteins, and minerals like iron, magnesium, potassium, calcium, copper, zinc, and manganese. It also contains vitamins like thiamin, folic acid, vitamin B6, vitamin A, and C. Fenugreek seeds also contain many other nutrients that are highly beneficial for health. it is noted that 100 gms of fenugreek seeds contain about 323 calories with high fiber content.
Here in this article, we will discuss the hair benefits of fenugreek seeds. Fenugreek seeds contain proteins and nicotinic acid that helps in promoting hair growth. It also helps to get rid of dandruff, grey hair, and hair fall.
All About Fenugreek Seeds
Read More: Ayurvedic Remedies For All Hair Problems
Here are some hair masks to combat hair fall:
1. Fenugreek seeds + castor oil + coconut oil
- Take a cup of fenugreek seeds and grind it using water to make a paste or use overnight soaked fenugreek seeds and grind it
- Take about 3-4 tablespoons of fenugreek paste and to it add 1 tablespoon of castor oil, 2 tablespoons of coconut oil, and mix well
- Apply it on the clean scalp and rinse it off after 45 minutes with a mild shampoo
- Repeat it twice a week for the best results
2. Fenugreek seeds + coconut oil + curry leaves
Procedure to prepare:
- Take a pan and add one cup of coconut oil to it and let it heat for 2 minutes on low flame and then add 3 tablespoons of fenugreek seeds and half a cup of curry leaves
- Cook them for at least 10 minutes on low flame
- Then strain it off and transfer it to a glass jar
Procedure to apply:
- To use this oil make sure the oil is warm before applying and you can warm the oil by double boiling
- So take 3 tablespoons of oil and do double boiling
- Divide your scalp into sections and apply it
- Wash it off after 45 minutes with a mild shampoo
- Repeat it 2 times a week for better results
Here are some hair masks to combat dandruff & itching:
1. Fenugreek seeds + lemon juice
- Soak 3 tablespoons of fenugreek seeds overnight and grind them until you reach the consistency of paste
- To it add lemon juice by squeezing a lemon
- Mix it well and take sections of your hair and apply
- Leave it for 30 minutes and then rinse it off with mild shampoo
- Repeat it once a week for the best results
This hair mask will help you to get rid of dandruff and prevents hair fall. This hair mask also revives your scalp health. Lemon juice helps in unclogging and exfoliating dead skin cells.
2. Fenugreek seeds + curd
- Soak two tablespoons of fenugreek seeds in half a cup of curd overnight and grind them the next day
- Part your hair into sections and then apply it on for about 30 minutes
- Then rinse it off using a mild shampoo and then condition your hair
- Apply this paste once or twice a week
Curd with its protein content along with fenugreek seeds in the paste helps in eliminating dandruff and also curd hydrates and adds smoothness, shine to your hair.
3. Fenugreek seeds powder + Indian gooseberry/amla powder + lemon juice
- Take a bowl and add 2 tablespoons of fenugreek seeds powder, 2 tablespoons of amla powder, and 4 tablespoons of lemon juice
- Mix all the ingredients well to get a smooth paste
- Apply it to your scalp by parting your hair into sections
- After 20 minutes wash it off using a mild shampoo and then condition it
- Apply this paste once a week
Indian gooseberry or amla with lemon juice has amazing effects on your scalp health. lemon contains citric acid which helps in unclogging pores thereby cleaning the scalp. It controls dandruff, helps in the promotion of hair growth, reduces hair fall, and strengthens your hair.
4. Fenugreek seeds + Coconut oil
- Soak 2 tablespoons of fenugreek seeds in water overnight and grind them the next morning
- Take a bowl and add the paste. To it add 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- Mix them well to get a smooth consistency
- Apply it to your scalp and hair by making partitions of your air
- Rinse it off after 30 minutes
- Do it once or twice a week
Coconut oil promotes scalp health. It fights against insect bites, lice, and dandruff. Coconut oil moisturizes, adds shine to your hair.
Here are some hair masks to promote hair growth:
1. Fenugreek seeds + aloe vera gel + coconut oil + rosemary oil
- Take a tablespoon of fenugreek seeds and soak it in water overnight and grind it to make a smooth paste
- Take a bowl and add fenugreek seeds paste, one tablespoon of aloe vera gel, one tablespoon of coconut oil, 6-7 drops of rosemary oil
- Mix all of them and apply them to your hair by parting your hair
- Wash it off after 20 minutes with a mild shampoo and condition it
- Do it once or twice a week
2. Fenugreek seeds + egg
- Soak 2 tablespoons of fenugreek seed sand soak it overnight and grind it smoothly the next morning
- Take a bowl and add fenugreek seeds paste, one whole egg and mix them well
- Apply it to your hair by parting sections and leave it for 45 minutes
- Then wash it off with cool water or normal water as hot water makes it impossible to remove the smell
- Then make sure to condition your hair
- Repeat it once a week
Eggs are a power pack of proteins it stimulates growth by strengthening hair follicles thereby increasing hair length and volume. Adding eggs to fenugreek seeds is very advantageous.
So far we have seen the uses and benefits of fenugreek seeds. There are side effects of fenugreek seeds as well.
- As fenugreek seeds belong to the Leguminosae family.
- Some people may be allergic to it when applied in powdered form or even when consumed internally.
- Allergic people may wheeze, may feel numb or even they can faint.
- People who are having asthma or sinus may have problems with the hair mask of fenugreek paste. because of the cooling effect of soaked fenugreek seeds.
- This cooling effect aggravates the problem.
So people with any kind of health problems stated above avoid using fenugreek seeds or simply test them before applying by applying in small quantities. if you have any problems then make sure to attend the hospital.
STAY HEALTHY AND STAY BEAUTIFUL !!!
You’ll also like:
- Homemade Hair Mask To Reduce Dandruff
- How To Take Care of Your Hair At Night While Sleeping
- Homemade Hair Mask Recipes For Oily Scalp
- Importance of Hair Conditioner in Preventing Hair Loss
- Mehndi Herbal Oil for Hair Growth